In India, Parijat grows in the outer Himalayas at the height of about 1400 meters, and are found in tracts of Jammu & Kashmir, Nepal to East of Assam, Bengal, Tripura extended through the Central region up to Godavari in the South. Besides India, they are found in Thailand, Indonesia, Nepal and Pakistan.
Parijat is of great spiritual importance. Parijat is considered as the only flower that can be picked from the ground and offered to God. The Parijat tree is believed to be one of the products that surfaced as a result of the ‘Samudra manthan’. Parijat flowers mark the arrival of Goddess Durga.
Parijat bead mala contains 108+1 beads of parijat ,it has powers to grant the human wish and it is one of the most auspicious mala to gain wealth and prosper in life. It also remove obstacles.
The parijat tree is considered very much a divine tree which blooms occasionally and flowers are white and blooming and turn yellow brown on drying. Parijat appears in Bhagavata Purana, the Mahabharata and the Vishnu Purana, Parijat appeared as the result of the Samudra manthan(Churning of the Milky Ocean).
In Asia, the orange colour of the flower is often used to dye the silk and cotton clothing for Buddhist monks.
- It is believed that the tree originated from the ashes of Kunti (mother of Pandavas).
- Others say that Arjun bought this tree from the heavens and Kunti used to offer its flower to Lord Shiva.
- In Harivansh puraan, the tree is referred to as KALP VRIKSH or wish bearing tree.
- According to mythology, Parijat is a heavenly tree brought to earth by lord Krishna. A quarrel over it ensued between Satyabhama and Rukmini, Krishna's wives. But Krishna planted the tree in Satyabhama's courtyard in a way that when the tree flowered, the flowers fell in Rukmini's courtyard.
- Lord Vishnu's heavenly throne is placed under a flowering Parijat tree, and Lord Hanuman lives under its shade.
- Another romantic story woven around the tree is about princess Parijata who fell in love with the sun. When he deserted her she committed suicide and a tree sprung from the ashes. Unable to stand the sight of the lover who left her, the tree flowers only at night and sheds them like tear-drops before the sun rises.
Diameter of each petal: 12-15 mm