Sri Panchmukhi Hanuman yantra Chowki with Panchmukhi Hanuman idol
Shri Hanumanji or the devout of Shri Rama, the embodiment of strenght,valor and courage is born of our epics to inspire in us the urge to stand up to our daily challenges and face life’s hurdles, difficulties, enemies and other not-so good factors with equal mental strength and courage.
Shri Panchamukha Hanuman is one of the most important upasana deity of our Guru Parampara. Inspite of rapid strides in technology, there is a growing insecurity for the average human being, both at emotional and physical levels. Sri Panchamukha Anjaneya Swami promises this security to all devotees.
Shri Panchamukhi Hanuman refers to five faces. According to the scriptures, Lord Hanuman assumed this form to slay Mahiravana, brother of Ravana. Mahiravana was a sorcerer and an ardent devotee of Goddess Mahamaya. Instigated by Ravana, Mahiravana took Lord Rama and his brother Lakshmana to Pataal Loka (the nether-world) and was tempted to sacrifice them to Goddess Mahamaya. To save the divine brothers, Lord Hanuman had to stub out five lamps burning in different directions simultaneously. He therefore assumed the Panchamukha form to win this task.
“Panchasyachutamaneka vichitra veeryam |
Sri shanka chakra ramaniya bhujagra desam ||
Peethambaram makara kundala noopurangam |
Dhyayethitam kapivaram hruthi bhvayami” ||
- The face towards the East is Sri Hanuman Mukha in its original form. This face removes all blemishes of sin and confers purity of mind (Chitta Suddhi).
- Sri Karala Ugravira Narasimha Swami, facing the South, removes fear of enemies and confers victory.
- The face facing the west is that of Lord Shri Mahavira Garuda and this face drives away evil spells, black magic influences etc and removes all poisonous effects in one’s body.
- Sri Lakshmi Varaha murthi facing the North wards off the troubles caused by bad influences of the planets and confers all prosperity-Ashta Aishwarya.
- The Urdhva Mukha Facing upwards of Sri Hayagriva Swami confers knowledge, victory, good wife and progeny.